Classification set lists in Fulcrum let you create predefined hierarchies and schemas for classifying data into a standard format from the field. This allows you to create more manageable pick lists that drill down to more specific choices options. This can then be used in specialized classification set fields within your apps. Classification set fields act as signal choice fields allowing the use to select one option from each of the levels presented.
A good example of a classification set list is selecting the model of a car. Ultimately, you are just interested in the model. However, instead of having a choice list that has all the possible car models, we can make the selection process more manageable by having the car manufactures listed at the highest level. Then based on what manufacture is selected in the classification set field, the various models that the manufacture will be displayed.
Creating a Classification Set
Starting on the homepage of the Fulcrum web app:
- Select Classification Sets from navigation pane/sidebar on the left side of the page.
- Select New Classification Set to create a new list.
3. On the classification set builder page, Drag and drop the choices into the canvas area on the right side (it works like the App Designer). You can nest options beneath others to form your list schema. From the classification set list page, you can also select a classification set you have created so you can edit the list.
value attribute to the right of each label name allows you to set a backend value, so the label (the field label presented within Fulcrum) can show one thing, a human-friendly label, and the value can be used to stored the more system friendly value. For example, imagine these labels and values:
- Label: “Samsung Galaxy S5”
- Value: sm-g900v
When data is exported, the exported data file will contain the values instead of the choice labels.
- You can also import classification sets if you already have them build in a spreadsheet format.
- Classification set fields act as single choice fields and only allow allow you to select one path to the deepest level of your classification set list.
- You can edit existing classification set lists on the same page that you create them from, just click the edit button next to the list you would like to edit instead.